Wednesday, May 02, 2007




















"CARDBOARD COMMUNICATIONS"


Everyday is a different adventure in this city. Just walking to the subway two blocks from your apartment can be an experience. On the way to the subway you are sure to encounter at least three "Street People." Now, some of these "Street People" have signs. Most signs say, "Hungry, Please Help," "Homeless, 4 Years," and of course, "Can you spare some change?" However, sometimes these people get creative and actually spend some time thinking about their sign.



A sign that caught my attention about three days ago while walking home from workl read, "What the #%@& is just a buck." I thought the rhyme was nice and I also like that the man didn’t spell out the four letter word. A “SP” should never offend parents who have young children with an obscene sign. Another "Street Person" that grabbed my was the guy who sits in the East Village on a Bob Marley rug. His techique is very fresh and innovative. He ties dental floss to a branch and hangs a Dixie cup from the top of the branch in order to show people he is fishing for change. The guy deserves something for standing out from all the other "SP." I don't mind giving this guy my spare change when I have some in my pocket.



Another sign I noticed was being held up by a girl who was 70 perecent Nine Inch Nails and 30 percent Gwen Stefani. Her sign read, "Just be glad I am not mugging you." As I walked by her she whispered in my ear,"Spare Change?" I also liked a sign that said ,"Won't Work for Shit, No Fuckin Way." This message is simple, to the point, clear and honest, all of which are important when making a street sign. But, the "SP" that I would love to have working for me one day is the guy who found a way to catch my attention and got me to laugh as soon as I read his sign. It read, "Civil War Vet." What is so funny about a Civil War Vet? Nothing at all. What is funny is the person that was holding up the sign was maybe 23.



In our fast forward world where everything is about Tivo why hasn't Sharpie Markers sponsored "Street People" signs. Every "Street Person Sign" I have seen in this city has used a Sharpie to get their message across. If "Sharpie" just put a little sticker on each sign, many people would see the Sharpie brand in their life every morning. It would basically be like a mobile billboard.


Anyway, if I ever have to make a cardboard sign and sit on the street mine will read, "Please help, my Sharpie ran out of in."

No comments: